FDA has yet to define the term “natural,” making its use in the marketing of natural products tricky. However, both natural products manufacturers and retailers continue to use the term. Rachel Adams, managing editor, and Ronak Sheth, chief customer officer at Label Insight, explore use of “natural” in the natural products marketplace at the Natural Product Association’s (NPA) The Big Natural in Las Vegas, June 7-9. In this episode, Adams and Sheth, discuss:
- Inconsistency in how brands and retailers are marketing “natural” to consumers.
- How lack of consistency in how “natural” is marketed by brands and retailers can cause confusion about the meaning of the term, but also offers opportunity to marketers.
- The role of clean label in the evolution of natural, where clean label is a framework that can include additional attributes such as fair trade, sustainable, etc.
Links and Resources:
- Healthy INSIDER Podcast 109: Understanding Shifts in the ‘Natural’ Perspective
- Healthy INSIDER Podcast 83: Takeaways from NPA’s Big Natural
- FTC Official Responds to Criticism on Dietary Supplement Advertising Substantiation