The Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), which became law in 2011, increased the regulatory requirements that food—and supplement—manufacturers must follow to ensure food safety. These risk-based preventative measures accompany the good manufacturing practices (GMPs) previously required by law. In this podcast, John Atwater, Ph.D., senior director of verification programs, USP (U.S. Pharmacopeia), discusses the new FSMA rules and how supplement brands can ensure their products meet all product requirements. Atwater and Sandy Almendarez, editor in chief, INSIDER, cover:
- The differences between GMP and FSMA requirements
- An overview of the FSMA obligations, and how brands can ensure their products meet these conditions
- Working with contract manufacturers to ensure GMP and FSMA requirements are met.
Learn more about FSMA in these INSIDER assets:
- Article: Impact of FSMA on the Food and Dietary Supplement Industries by Joy A. Joseph
- Infographic: FSMA Implementation is upon us
- Slide Show: FSMA Past, Present and Future