Shelled flaxseed

June 20, 2008

2 Min Read
Shelled flaxseed

Although flaxseed has steadily built a reputation as a healthy source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an essential omega-3 fatty acid, it presents formulators with a conundrum. While the seed’s hard outer shell keeps the omega-3s inside safe from oxidation and subsequent rancidity, that very same shell prevents the human body from fully digesting the flaxseed and benefiting from its nutrition. Therefore, processors grind the seed to increase ALA bioavailability, but then need to quickly take steps to prevent the oil’s rapid degeneration into rancidity and concurrently abbreviated shelf life.

Now, Natunola Health Inc. has made incorporating the healthful components of flaxseed into a wide range of foods much easier with its certified-kosher, preservative-free shelled-flax ingredients.

Flax 70 shelled flax kernel includes approximately 30% of the outer flax hull, which is rich in fiber and cancer-fighting lignans, phytoestrogens with a range of potential health benefits—from prostate and bone health to cosmeceutical concerns like skin and hair health. The remaining 70% is inner flax kernel, the source of the seed’s ALA (the ingredient is nearly 30% ALA) and fiber (17.7 grams per 100 grams ingredient) that contributes to lower cholesterol levels and better heart health. Flax 70, used in cakes, cookies, muffins, snacks, bars, breads and other baked-goods like other seeds or nuts, has a pleasantly nutty flavor and yellow color.

Shelling separates flaxseed’s outer shell and the inner kernel, leaving the oil intact in the kernel. This creates another ingredient, Natunola’s Flax Meal, a powder similar to other ground flax powders on the market, but with one notable difference: longer shelf life. While preservative-free ground flaxseed typically has a shelf life of only a few months, Natunola’s Flax Meal remains fresh for 9 months. It contains over 20% ALA and can substitute for 5% to 25% of flour in formulas.

This Flax Meal can also act as an egg or fat replacement. “The flax shell contains a natural gum which, when mixed with water, will work as the binding agent to replace the egg,” says Doreen VandenTillaart, vice president, sales and administration. She notes that Flax Meal can typically replace oil or fat at a 3:1 ratio, but that “bakers may need to adjust their formulation to compensate for the added fiber by increasing the water or yeast content.”

Flax Meal also adds a healthy component to smoothies. Like Flax 70, it is a source of dietary fiber (18.9 grams per 100 grams of ingredient).

These Natunola flax ingredients do not require refrigeration (store below 20ºC) and are composed of 100% pure, non-GMO, gluten-free Canadian flaxseed.

Natunola Health Inc.

661 St. Lawrence Street

Winchester, Ontario K0C 2K0


Phone: 613/774-9998

Fax: 613/774-2226

E-mail: [email protected]


Subscribe and receive the latest insights on the health and nutrition industry.
Join 37,000+ members. Yes, it's completely free.

You May Also Like