Rachel Adams, managing editor, and Jeff Crowther, executive director of the U.S.-China Health Products Association, discuss the rapid adoption and evolution of social media and technology by Chinese consumers, and how these factors impact purchasing behaviors. This podcast was recorded at Natural Products Expo West in Anaheim, California, March 7-11.
Key points of this podcast include:
- Chinese consumers are absorbing and adapting to technology advancements at a much faster pace compared to consumers in other parts of the world.
- Product recommendations by friends, family or other consumers is a kay factor supporting purchase decisions of Chinese consumers, elevating the role of social media platforms such as WeChat in product marketing and sales.
- Certain technological advancements adopted quickly by Chinese consumers, such as widespread use of advanced facial recognition, may be considered too intrusive to be adopted in Western cultures such as the United States.
Links and Resources:
- Healthy INSIDER Podcast 54: E-commerce Drives Supplement Market in China
- Video: Preparing for Chinas Nutritional Supplement Regulations to Take Effect in 2015
- China Adopts Proposed Notification System for Nutritional Supplements