Probiotics have been one of the consistent growth categories across the natural products space, with product introductions in the supplement, food, beverage and even personal care categories. However, even as researchers are exploring the health benefits of specific strains, inconsistencies in regulatory approaches could hamper product introductions or line extensions—particularly into new geographies. In the lead-in to SupplySide West, Heather Granato, vice president of content, spoke with George Paraskevakos, executive director, International Probiotics Association (IPA, internationalprobiotics.org), about the market opportunities and challenges, as well as what SupplySide West attendees can learn at this year’s Probiotics Workshop and in the IPA Probiotics Resource Center.
Key points of this podcast include:
- The types of health benefits being substantiated by clinical research, and the ways those studies can be used in effective consumer communication
- The regulatory conundrum that marketers face when trying to extend product lines into new geos, and the work being done by IPA and other firms to even the playing field
- Steps being taken by IPA to educate the market, both through its own educational efforts and outreach at SupplySide West
Links and Resources:
- Interested in the key considerations before developing a probiotic product? Join IPA at the “Probiotic Product Development: A Need-to-Know Guide Before Taking that First Step” workshop at SupplySide West. The workshop is produced with the support of IPA and underwritten by Deerland Probiotics & Enzymes, DuPont, Lallemand, Morinaga, Probi and Sabinsa.
- Consumer interest in probiotics has been energized through scientific research around the microbiome. The “Probiotics: Masters of the microbiome” digital magazine covers issues including synbiotics, immunobiotics, strain suitability and formulation considerations.
- The IPA Probiotics Resource Center at SupplySide West, sponsored by Nutrasource Pharmaceutical and Nutraceutical services, includes theater presentations and product showcases, as well as ingredient and product demos from category leaders.