A recent probiotic packaging innovation keeps probiotics outside the box (literally) until the beverage is ready to be consumed, enabling a daily dose of probiotics to be effective in shelf-stable or refrigerated beverages.
Ganeden Biotech, maker of the probiotic strain GanedenBC30 (Bacillus coagulans GBI-30, 6086) and CapAble AB partnered to create a new telescoping GanedenBC30 LifeTop™ Probiotic Straw that can be used in both refrigerated and shelf-stable milk or juice boxes, pouches and bottles.
The straws, manufactured by BioGaia’s subsidiary, CapAble, will have 1 billion CFU of GanedenBC30 and can be seamlessly applied to Tetra Pak and other shelf-stable beverage containers. The innovation could heavily impact the children’s beverage market, which is growing at a quick clip as parents look for healthy options.
The probiotic market is growing enormously, with no indication that it will be slowing down anytime soon. According to a press release by Ganeden, by 2018, the probiotic market is expected to reach $36.7 billion globally, with about $30 billion from functional foods and beverages. In addition, 93 percent of today’s consumers are familiar with the term “probiotic" and associate it with good health.
A key challenge when formulating with probiotics is ensuring the bacteria will remain active through processing and shelf life of the finished product, as noted in INSIDER’s Digital Issue, “Probiotic Food Formulation." The new probiotic straws will allow the healthy bacteria to be available in beverages throughout the store, including shelf-stable SKUs. “As consumer demand for probiotics grows, so do the delivery forms available. Not everyone can or wants to eat yogurt or take pills; these straws offer a new option for consumers to get probiotics," Michael Bush, senior vice president, Ganeden, said. “A child can get their daily dose of probiotics from a juice pouch in her lunch box—this is groundbreaking."
Ganeden plans to showcase more innovative probiotic products during Natural Products Expo West 2015, March 4-8, in Anaheim, California. Ganeden’s total line-up includes 14 new products fortified with GanedenBC30, five of which are probiotic beverages:
- Suja Organic Sunrise Probiotic Juice (booth #5662): A strawberry smoothie with almond milk, strawberries and 2 billion CFUs of GanedenBC30.
- Yogi® Cranberry Spice Probiotic Balance™ Tea (booth #2420): A blend that includes GanedenBC30 probiotics in addition to cranberry, hawthorn berry, coriander, cumin and warming chai spices, all traditionally used to support the digestive system.
- Uncle Matts Organic Juice (booth #2313): Organic juice fortified with 1 billion CFU of GanedenBC30 per serving, available in Organic Orange Coconut and Organic Orange Turmeric flavors.
- Karma Probiotic Wellness Water (booth #5566): A shelf-stable probiotic beverage that features the KarmaCap dispensing cap. The digestive supporting ingredients are stored in the cap until the consumer infuses the contents into water. Each bottle of Karma Probiotics includes 2 billion CFUs of GanedenBC30. The product is available in three flavors.
- Barsotti Mango Orange Pineapple Juice: A blend of mango, orange and pineapple juices fortified with GanedenBC30.
As the probiotics market grows and diversifies, it’s increasingly important for manufacturers of functional beverages to be aware of the trends impacting the market. During Ingredient Marketplace 2015, Lynn Dornblaser, director, innovation & insight, Mintel Group, will be discussing the biggest factors influencing the probiotics market during the Trends In Probiotics presentation at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, April 9. For more information, or to register to attend, click here.