On the heels of INSIDER and Informa’s nomination for min awards, I am excited to announce that we are also nominated for Folio awards. INSIDER and other brands in Informa’s Health & Nutrition Network are finalists for Folio’s annual award program that recognizes the best in editorial and design. The Eddie & Ozzie Awards program is presented by Folio, a publication serving the entire magazine media industry, with segments for business to business, custom, consumer and association work.
Here are our nominations:
- B-to-B–Series of Articles-General Interest [content]: Natural Products INSIDER—Series of Articles (Herbalife), May 2014
- B-to-B–Cover Design [design]: Natural Products INSIDER–January 2014
- B-to-B–Standalone Digital Magazine [digital design]: Natural Products INSIDER—A New Standard of Beauty, February 2014
- B-to-B–Standalone Digital Magazine-General [digital content]: SupplySide–Boardroom Journal–Ingredients and the Activist Consumer, March 2014
- B-to-B–Redesign[design]: Food Product Design–Summer 2014
The road has been tumultuous for Herbalife, the billion-dollar international multi-level marketing (MLM) supplement company, ever since late 2012 when investor Bill Ackman called it a Pyramid Scheme. Natural Products INSIDER’s legal and regulatory editor Josh Long has covered the company’s ups and downs from Ackman’s accusations to its government inquiries, sales increases and growing market dominance. As a large MLM company in the supplement space, Herbalife is a guiding force for the supplement industry, offering a roadmap for other brands. INSIDER, a publication for manufacturers and marketers of supplements and functional foods, gives not only the story of Herbalife, but also the context to show others in the industry how the company’s actions affect the industry as a whole
Here are the series of article on Herbalife that gained us the nomination (although we’ve offered more articles since):
- Investor Calls Herbalife "Pyramid Scheme," Shares Plunge 12/20/2012
- Herbalife Must Account to Investors and SEC 1/09/2013
- Herbalife Defends Itself from Pyramid Scheme Allegations 1/11/2013
- Herbalife Posts Sales Growth in Q1 4/30/2013
- Herbalife's $4.1-Billion Question Debated 6/5/2013
- Some Analysts Bullish on Herbalife as Requests Mount for FTC Probe 6/13/2013
- Icahn Rakes in $500 Million as Soros Reportedly Joins Herbalife 8/13/2013
- Analyst Dismisses Letter to Herbalife's Auditor PricewaterhouseCoopers 9/24/13
- Belgium: Herbalife not a Pyramid Scheme 12/11/2013
- Court Sets Deadlines in Herbalife Class Action lawsuit 1/16/2014
- Herbalife Said to face Canadian Probe 1/29/2014
- Herbalife Shines in China.aspx 2/19/2014
- FTC Launches Herbalife Probe.aspx 3/12/2014
- Herbalife Said to Face FBI Investigation 4/14/2014
- Herbalife Facing Illinois Attorney General Probe 4/17/2014
- Report: Herbalife Disciplines Distributors Who boast of Treating Diseases 4/25/14
The year 2013 closed with a torrent of bad press for supplements, telling consumers they were dangerous, badly manufactured and ineffective, but industry fought back with facts and context. INSIDER’s January/February 2014 cover article looked at several media reports on supplements and provided context for the supplement industry. We gave a platform for experts to explain the background for the negative press and explore the greater implications to the natural products industry. The cover image associated with that article nabbed us the design nomination.
INSIDER’s digital issue, “A New Standard of Beauty" was also recognized for its beautiful design. This digital issue helps cosmeceutical companies that are relying on innovative delivery, researched ingredients and targeted marketing to propel the growing market forward. This digital issue covered delivery systems, the growing demographics of cosmeceuticals and ingredients that benefit the skin from the inside out.
We’ll find out the winners on Thursday, Dec. 11, 2014. I am greatly honored to be a part of a great team of editors, designers and marketers that were recognized by Folio. If we win, I will be sure to let you know. In the meantime, check out our great content to see what the buzz is all about.