April 27, 2012

1 Min Read
KFC Ordered to Pay $8M in Australian Salmonella Case

SYDNEY, AustraliaA New South Wales Supreme Court justice today ordered KFC to pay $8 million in damages to a 14-year-old girl who was left severely brain damaged from Salmonella poisoning after she consumed a KFC chicken twister in 2005.

As reported by the Sydney Morning Herald, Monika Samaan was 7 years old when she, her parents and brother fell ill from Salmonella after eating the chicken wrap at a local KFC restaurant. While the entire family was hospitalized for Salmonella poisoning, Monika spent six months in a coma and seven months in the hospital. She is now confined to a wheelchair and unable to speak.

KFC denied responsibility arguing there "never was a shared Twister" because there was no sales data to prove the family purchased it. KFC indicated it would appeal the judges verdict.

Subscribe and receive the latest insights on the health and nutrition industry.
Join 37,000+ members. Yes, it's completely free.

You May Also Like