As consumers are seeking more transparency in the products they buy, and regulators aim to stretch tight budgets by focusing on the bad actors, self-regulatory initiatives can take center stage. At SupplySide East in New Jersey in April, Heather Granato, vice president of content, spoke with Duffy MacKay, Ph.D., senior vice president of scientific and regulatory affairs, Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN), about the importance of self-regulation. In this podcast, MacKay discusses how the industry has come together around the concept of a registry and what lies ahead.
Key points of this podcast include:
- Looking back at the ideation around a self-regulatory registry, and the importance of taking that step.
- How various stakeholders including retailers, large brands, ingredient suppliers and more embraced the registry concept.
- What to expect from the Supplement OWL in the coming years.
Links and Resources:
- Interested in more insights into how to navigate government relations in today’s political climate? Check out this on-demand webinar from the Council for Responsible Nutrition and hear about the current regulatory environment, Congressional champs and more.
- Take a look back at the launching of the Supplement OWL, including an interview with CRN’s Steve Mister.
- View a Slide Show adapted from CRN's SupplySide East 2018 presentation, discussing self-regulation in the current political climate and the role of the Supplement OWL.