The Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), a new food safety law that applied to foods, including dietary supplement, requires all food facilities to have a preventive controls qualified individual (PCQI) to maintain a food safety plan. However, many brands in the supplement industry don’t have a qualified individual on staff. In this podcast, Larissa Pavlick, vice president of global regulatory and compliance, United Natural Products Alliance (UNPA), discusses FSMA, PCQIs, industry quality initiatives and more. They cover:
- What FSMA changed about food safety and food manufacturing.
- What is in included in a solid, legally compliant food safety plan.
- The new quality initiative the Dietary Supplement Quality Collaborative (DSQC) and how it should help weed out industry “bad actors” while helping quality brands.
This podcast was recorded in Santa Fe, New Mexico, as part of the annual United Natural Products Alliance (UNPA) member retreat.
- Hear Almendarez’s wrap up of the event in the Healthy INSIDER Podcast 74: Supplement Ruminations in Santa Fe.
- Hear a podcast with UNPA member retreat speaker Peter Reinecke, principal, Reinecke Strategy Solutions in the Healthy INSIDER Podcast 80: Expectations in the New U.S. Political Climate.
- Hear a podcast with UNPA member retreat Speaker Jim Thomas, program manager, Etc. Group in the Healthy INSIDER Podcast 81: Synthetic DNA Labeled as ‘Natural’
- And hear Brian Frisby, general manager, KGK Compliance Advisors, discuss new dietary ingredients (NDIs) in the Healthy INSIDER Podcast 89: NDIs Likely to be Finalized this Year