Today's consumers are becoming more aware of the health and environmental benefits of a plant-forward diet. Plant-based supplement ingredients have been challenging to deliver in softgel format, where most soft capsules have been gelatin based.
A plant-based softgel capsule for consumers seeking an animal free alternative to gelatin capsules, Vegicaps® capsules are GMO free, plant-based shell, free from animal derivatives, gluten, and modified sugars. The plant derived shell formulation may be an optimal solution for challenging formulations, offering the capability to handle a wider range of healthy lifestyles compounds, especially those with higher melting points.
Our interview with Catalent's Dan Peizer explores and answers:
- What are Vegicaps® capsules and how are they made?
- What does the trend towards ‘plant-based’ mean for manufacturers?
- Are Vegicaps® capsules good for vegan applications?
- How does the Vegicaps® technology compare to other technologies on the market?
- Where are Vegicaps® capsules available?
- If someone wants to learn more about this technology, where should they go?
Vegicaps® capsules offer a number of technical advantages:
- Plant based shell solves complex development and formulation challenges
- Helps improve bioavailability of poorly water-soluble and poorly permeable compounds
- Enhances dose uniformity of your potent compounds
- Encapsulation of higher temperature fill formulations
- Higher pH fill formulations
- Wider range of compatible fill excipients
- Enhanced stability for sensitive actives with higher water content
- Safe and tamper evident
Listen in, and learn more.
About our speaker:
Dan Peizer, Vice President, Global Marketing & Strategy, Consumer Health, Catalent
Dan joined Catalent in 2013 and has held a number of strategic marketing and business development roles. In his current role, he is responsible for strategy and marketing planning for Catalent’s global consumer health business including the over-the-counter (OTC), vitamins, minerals and supplements (VMS), and beauty sectors.
"What you get is a product, capsule, that performs in every way shape and form like a softgel does, so it meets consumer expectation–however it does not have any animal based ingredients, gelatin." – Dan Peizer, Vice President, Global Marketing & Strategy, Consumer Health, Catalent
To learn more about Catalent's Vegicaps® capsules for your plant-based formulations, please click HERE.