Like everyone else, I love a good drama.
Next week, on the SupplySide Central stage, two companies compete with their business plans, and the stakes are pretty high.
From 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 8, two companies that are looking for investors will duke it out for prizes worth over $100,000. The companies will give their pitches at the inaugural NCN Venture Tank @ SupplySide, modeled after the ABC television show Shark Tank. The panel of judges will decided which one gets to take home a slew of business goodies, including:
- A booth at Ingredient Marketplace 2016 or SupplySide West 2016, a video snapshot, a full-page print ad in Natural Products INSIDER and a 20-minute VendorBrief document from Informa Exhibitions (US$25,000 market value);
- Research and development of a Brand Story document, which outlines optimal market positioning, brand value proposition, tone and key messaging points; and the design of a logo/identity mark for a raw ingredient or technology from Brandhive ($20,000 market value)
- A free clinical trial proposal and comprehensive protocol, with objectives, inclusion/exclusion criteria, end points/biomarkers, investigational product information and schedule of assessments from KGK Synergize ($25,000 market value);
- A three-hour consultation on a specific or general legal issue and a 20-percent discount on legal fees (up to $18,000) for the first year of engagement from Venable LLP ($20,000 market value);
- A review of the company’s business plan including financial projections, and calls to discuss the plan, projections, near and long-term financial strategies, and growth strategies from Silverwood Partners ($7,500 market value); and
- The creation or rewriting of the business plan to maximize partnership/investment transaction, critical introductions before and during an NCN Investor event, special coaching to prepare for NCN presentation, and a free presentation slot at a future NCN event in New York or California from Nutrition Capital Network (NCN) ($10,000 market value).
The two companies will be chosen among the dozen entrepreneurs that are presenting at NCN’s Ingredients & Technology Investor Meeting VII on Oct. 6, 2015 at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center in conjunction with SupplySide West. In the half-day meeting, Investors and development partners in the nutrition industry will be introduced to emerging technologies and innovative ingredients, and the entrepreneurs and management teams behind them.
At the meeting, companies have 10 minutes to wow potential investors and then have the opportunity to meet one-on-one with interested parties. According to NCN, presenting companies typically include: suppliers of active nutritional ingredients for dietary supplements or functional foods; value-added suppliers of products or services related to nutrition, nutrition science, or health and wellness; and developers of technology or science related to nutrition and human or animal health.
Also at the NCN Venture Tank @ SupplySide on the SupplySide Stage, NCN’s Tom Aarts and Grant Ferrier will provide insights into how to find the right alignment between a company’s desires and an investor’s goals. Attendees will also hear about two recent success stories from companies that realized a successful financial partnership following the NCN event at SupplySide 2014.
The Venture Tank @ SupplySide is sponsored by Innophos.