While the New York attorney general’s investigation may have put the topic of botanical identity testing squarely in the mainstream spotlight, the industry has for years understood that herbs and botanicals pose unique challenges in laboratory testing. In the lead-in to SupplySide West, Heather Granato, vice president of content, spoke with Holly Johnson, chief science officer at the American Herbal Products Association (ahpa.org), about the considerations that manufacturers must keep in mind when doing testing and, especially, when partnering with suppliers and outside laboratories.
Key points of this podcast include:
- Steps that manufacturers should take to ensure their lab is qualified to test botanicals in general and the ingredients for their formulas in particular.
- The importance of connecting suppliers and laboratories to make sure they’re using the same appropriate, fit-for-purpose testing methods.
- Resources that are available to help raise the quality bar, including AHPA’s Botanical Identity References Compendium.
Links and Resources:
- Validating a contract laboratory is a critical part of ensuring the partnership benefits both parties. Get a look at the steps to take with the Infographic: Validating a Contract Laboratory.
- Holly Johnson will be speaking at the workshop “Effectively Partnering with a Contract Laboratory,” set for Nov. 7 at SupplySide West.