The testing required for safe, legal supplements is technical and can be difficult for brand owners to understand if they don’t have a scientific background. Brands may hire contract labs to conduct validated tests the help meet requirements for GMPs (good manufacturing practices); however, brand owners are still obligated to examine and verify that contract labs are following all safety measures.
In this episode, Blake Ebersole, president, NaturPro Scientific LLC, and Sandy Almendarez, editor in chief, INSIDER, discuss:
Tips for auditing a contract lab for the rigorousness of its tests.
The effects the passage of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) had on testing requirements
FDA’s definition of “validated method.”
Ebersole will be speaking on the Workshop: Evaluating and Partnering with Contract Labs on Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 1:30 p.m. at SupplySide West. Visit supplysideshow.com for more information and get registered. This session is underwritten by Covance, Midi Labs, Eurofins, Micro Quality Labs and BASF, the official education sponsor of SupplySide West.
Links and Resources:
- SupplySide West Podcast 13: Exploring FTC’s Role over Dietary Supplements
- SupplySide West Podcast 4: Evaluating and Selecting a Contract Testing Laboratory
- Article Archive: Choosing an Analytical Lab
- Video: Testing for Product Success
- Article: Lab Questionnaire Guides Contract Lab Audit
- Article: Picking the Right Contract Labs for Testing Success