From major manufacturers to microbreweries, beer is big business worldwide; yet rarely does anyone discuss the waste stream of spent grains. Dan Kurzrock, co-founder and “chief grain officer” at ReGrained—along with fellow co-founder and “chief grainmaster” Jordan Schwartz—set out to put the nutritious byproduct to work. In a process coined “upcycling,” they repurpose the spent grains with patent-pending technology, creating a nutrient-dense flour for use in a wide range of food applications.
In this podcast, Kurzrock joins Karen Butler, Informa senior editor, in discussing:
• The inspiration behind ReGrained and its voyage into upcycling.
• Creative partnerships emerging out of the Food 2.0 movement.
• Entrepreneurial concerns when pioneering small businesses.
• What it takes to educate consumers about novel ingredients.
• Challenges of offering sustainable packaging, particularly in a category such as bars.
• ReGrained’s Supergrain+Bars being named one of the five finalists in the Bars category for the 2018 SupplySide CPG Editor’s Choice Awards.
Butler can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.