Among the thousands of new products launched at Natural Products Expo West 2019, trends emerge. In this episode of the Healthy INSIDER Podcast, Sandy Almendarez, editor in chief, and Karen Butler, senior editor, discuss which innovations caught their eye (and captivated their taste buds). Areas of interest span:
• The increased use of mushrooms—particularly lion’s mane or mushroom blends—appearing in food, beverage and supplements; as well as challenges faced by formulators.
• Incubator and accelerator programs from leading corporations looking to foster the next generation of food and beverage start-ups.
• Plant-based everything, and a move to encourage people to incorporate OMD (one meal a day) that’s plant-based, regardless of typical dietary preference.
• Reduced sugars and increased use of stevia, monk fruit and alternative sweetener blends.
• More prebiotics, probiotics and postbiotics—including full-spectrum digestive health products incorporating all three.
The companies mentioned include: Gaia Herbs, Rowdy Mermaid, Shrooms Snacks, Mars Inc., Ingredion, Upriver Cacao, Brainiac, Origin Almond, Alter Eco, Sophie’s Kitchen, Mariani, Ganeden (Kerry), Unique Biotech, North Coast Organic, Probulin, Desert Essence, Wholesome, ASR Group, Healthy Brand Builders, Volvic, Flow, PATHWATER, TAZO, Tea Drops, 88 Acres, My Bite Vitamins, Glanbia, Bodybuilding.com.
Reach the editors at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or tweet us @NatProdInsider.