The discussion of plant-based nutrition and sugar reduction continued to dominate the natural products narrative at this year’s SupplySide West show, highlighted by increased ingredient offerings for food and beverage applications. INSIDER’s Judie Bizzozero, senior editor, joins Sandy Almendarez, content director, to discuss the latest trends and challenges in the healthy food and beverage sector at SupplySide West 2019, including:
- Plant-based ingredients for alternative dairy and meat substitutes flourished at SupplySide West 2019, with suppliers offering enhanced options that provide flavors, mouthfeel and texture typically associated with traditional dairy and meat products.
- Sugar reduction solutions continue to evolve with ingredients including allulose, stevia, stevia blends, prebtiotic fibers, monk fruit and more.
- The shift from better-for-you nutrition to mindful and purposeful eating was evident in how companies positioned clean label ingredients and mission.
- Increased attention and ingredients for keto, vegan, paleo and gluten-free diets.
- Opportunities for explosive disruption in the beverage category including the mainstreaming of sports nutrition as well as new flavors, proteins, probiotics, botanicals, CBD and other ingredients.
Check out other SupplySide West 2019 Trends Podcasts:
Got feedback? Email Judie at firstname.lastname@example.org, or tweet to @NatProdINSIDER using the hashtag #INSIDERPodcast