At Rethinking Food 2018 in Tel Aviv, Israel, Ginger Schlueter, assistant editor, met and spoke with Boaz Olivero, founder and CEO, of Munbatim, a small business bringing a bread alternative to market based on Olivero’s bout with colitis. He became vegan and removed gluten from his diet, but was unable to find a bread alternative on the market that appealed to him, so he created it—15 gluten, yeast, preservative, oil and fat free, no sugar added, organic bread flavors. Olivero also spoke about challenges and how he overcame them, trends in the functional foods niche, and offered advice to new players in the functional food industry on how to achieve success.
Key points of this podcast include:
- Think about the customers first.
- New players to the functional food industry need patience, to come to market with the right product and realize it’s a journey to become successful.
- When coming to market with something different, new and innovative, brands need to ensure customers understand the product. (Offering free samples and tastings is a great way engage with potential consumers and established customers.)
Links and Resources:
- Thinking about starting a functional food brand? Food Insider Journal’s article, Trends, Opportunities in U.S. Food Market, identified five trends that align specifically with the clean label movement.
- Use INSIDER’s Communicating the Clean Label Message infographic as a guide to clean label success with consumers.
- Check out Reducing Sugar in Sweet, Frozen Treats Digital Magazine to learn about formulating zero- or low-sugar frozen desserts while keeping labels clean, assessing formulation considerations such as freezing-point depression, bulking and taste, and potential alternative sweeteners that produce an indulgent taste consumers expect.
Got feedback? Email Ginger Schlueter at firstname.lastname@example.org, or tweet to @NatProdINSIDER using the hashtag #INSIDERpodcast.