Consumers are searching for products made from alternative proteins, causing brands to create new products or reformulate already marketed products. At Rethinking Food 2018 in Tel Aviv, Israel, Ginger Schlueter, assistant editor, spoke with Taly Nechushtan, CEO, and Nitzan N. Ben Chaim, CTO, at InnovoPro Limited, makers of chickpea protein and starch. Taly begins the conversation discussing why brands should consider chickpea protein in their formulations, points out trends within the industry and offers takeaways for already established brands as well as advice for new brands. Nitzan concludes with the top four important characteristics of alternative proteins.
Key points of this podcast include:
- The food industry is seeking protein alternatives.
- Previously, consumers based purchase decisions on brand preferences; now they engage more with labels, seeking nutrition and well-being of the total formula.
- New-to-the-industry advice: have a quality product and raw materials, and a natural process with no additives, resulting in a clean label.
- Check out INSIDER’s Digital Magazine, “Protein Innovation,” to learn more about various protein sources.
- INSIDER’s article, “Building Popular Protein Products With Clean Labels,” advises brands to stay laser focused on their customers when it comes to protein content and type.