Consumer demand for clean labels and food and beverage products that align with values related to health and wellness, sustainability and eco-consciousness is pushing plant-based ingredients and products into the spotlight. In fact, recent data from the Plant Based Foods Association (PBFA) and the Good Food Institute (GFI) estimates U.S. retail sales of plant-based foods hit $4.5 billion this year, an 11% jump over 2018. Plant-based options can be found in nearly every grocery aisle but making those products nutritionally sound and palatable isn’t an easy task.
In this SupplySide West edition of the Healthy INSIDER Podcast, Judie Bizzozero, senior editor, Natural Products INSIDER, and Ed Dudley, director of technical and analytical innovation at Griffith Foods discuss:
- Popular plant-based ingredients being used in food and beverage products.
- How plant-based proteins differ from animal proteins.
- Unique challenges plant-based ingredients bring to the formulation table.
- The importance of flavors, maskers and texturing solutions.
Links and resources:
- SupplySide West Workshop: How to Win in the Booming Plant-based Nutrition Sector taking place on Wednesday, Oct. 16, 9 a.m.-noon, at SupplySide West in Las Vegas.
- US plant-based retail market hits $4.5 billion
- Plant-based versus vegan: A consumer perspective
- Dairy alternatives sparking innovation and disruption in the market
Got feedback? Email Judie at email@example.com, or tweet to @NatProdINSIDER using the hashtag #INSIDERPodcast