As clean label continues to adapt in mainstream food and beverages, gluten-free, keto, vegan, and low-FODMAP diets are blurring the lines of what defines trend versus fad. Brands looking to innovate in these sectors must understand whether a product is part of a lifestyle trend (like kale and ancient grains) or simply part of a fad (like Cronuts and ramen burgers).
In this SupplySide West edition of the Healthy INSIDER Podcast, Judie Bizzozero, senior editor, Natural Products INSIDER, and Lynn Dornblaser, director of innovation and insight at Mintel, discuss:
- Insight into the difference between a food trend or food fad.
- Whether gluten-free, keto, vegan and FODMAP have potential to impact the market long-term.
- Consumer perception of these dietary patterns and intent to purchase.
- Advice for brands on how to best market their products in a crowded marketplace.
Links and resources:
- SupplySide West Workshop: Blurring the Line Between Food Trend and Fad, Friday, Oct. 18, 2-4 p.m. in Las Vegas.
- Keto, oat milk and microbiome support trending at Expo West 2019 – podcast
- Global gluten-free food market to hit $4.89 billion by 2021
- Plant-based eating, transparency among top IFIC food trends in 2019
Got feedback? Email Judie at email@example.com, or tweet to @NatProdINSIDER using the hashtag #INSIDERPodcast