The investment in equipment for the production, testing and packaging of natural products, especially dietary supplements, is tremendous. There is not only the cost of acquiring the machinery, but also operating and maintenance costs, as well as the cost of training staff on each piece of equipment. Regulatory factors such as GMPs (good manufacturing practices) and demands for newer DNA testing are forcing many companies to invest in equipment and operational expertise.
Table of Contents
- Viewpoint: The Art of Acquiring Mechanical Things
- Equipment Acquisition: Investing in Equipment for the Production, Testing and Packaging of Natural Products
Takeaways for Your Business
- Regulatory actions are driving supplement manufacturers to reassess and upgrade equipment.
- New and used equipment differ in short-term costs, long-term maintenance, support and warranties.
- Buying equipment at auction can come with many purchasing and risk considerations.