Prebiotics play an important role in the human gut microbiome, supporting a holistic approach to wellness by shifting microbial and metabolic signatures. In this SupplySide West edition of the Healthy INSIDER Podcast, Len Monheit, executive director of the Global Prebiotic Association (GPA), talks with senior editor Karen Butler about “Market Opportunities for Prebiotics.” The discussion is based on a SupplySide West session—underwritten by AIDP, BioNeutra, Cargill, EpiCor, Prenexus Health and Top Health Ingredients—that took place in Las Vegas on Friday, Nov. 9, 2018.
Butler and Monheit discuss key takeaways from the session’s speakers: David Heber, M.D., Ph.D., UCLA; Robert Hutkins, Ph.D., University of Nebraska; Kara Landau, APD, AN, Uplift Food; and Ivan Wasserman, Amin Talati Upadhye LLP. Additionally, Monheit shares proprietary market data and insight into GPA’s key priorities.
Some specific conversation points include:
• The science around the microbiome and substances with prebiotic activity.
• Developments in synbiotics, postbiotics and personalized nutrition.
• An evolution of the definition of prebiotics, and standards used when evaluating the state of the science.
• Baseline consumer awareness data, purchasing drivers, market size and projections in supplements and several food categories.
• The broad range of CPGs featuring prebiotics, and where there’s room for growth in product development, as well as dual functionality.
• Regulatory oversight and challenges in the category, along with FDA developments.
Links and Resources:
Butler can be reached at email@example.com.