Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine & Health Sciences (SCNM) introduced the Master of Science in Nutrition Business Leadership degree (MSNBL) at SupplySide West last week in Las Vegas. The online, 15-month program is designed exclusively for professionals working in or intending to work in the nutraceutical, natural foods and dietary supplement industries.
The inaugural class will begin April 2020, and will educate students on the nutritional sciences, product development, supply chain, regulations, leadership and management. The online master’s degree program is unique in that all classes are specific to the natural products industry, and many are taught by natural products industry leaders.
“We built the Master of Science in Nutrition Business Leadership degree in direct response to a unique need within the natural products industry; we’re educating students to become powerful and informed business leaders,” said SCNM’s President, Dr. Paul Mittman.
The MSNBL program includes applied projects where students solve problems and innovate by immersing themselves in the curriculum and applying their knowledge directly within their workplace. “Not only will this program allow students to take their career to the next level, but it will also greatly benefit their company,” explained Gena E. Kadar, dean of SCNM’s School of Nutrition.
A volunteer advisory council consisting of more than 20 industry leaders has guided the program development:
- Cindy Angerhofer, executive director, botanical research, Aveda/Estee Lauder Companies
- Jon Benninger, vice president & market leader – SupplySide, Informa Markets; Board Trustee & Vice Chair, SCNM
- Kartikeya Baldwa, CEO, KSM-66 Ashwagandha (Ixoreal Biomed Inc.)
- Aaron E. Bartz, president, Ortho Molecular Products, Inc.
- Mark Blumenthal, founder & executive director, American Botanical Council (ABC)
- Bethany Davis, director of advocacy and government relations, MegaFood
- Shane E. Durkee, vice president platform innovation R&D, Lonza
- Brian Frisby, chief regulatory officer, Fine Living Pharmanaturals
- Jeffrey L. Hilton, co-founder and partner, BrandHive
- Karen E. Howard, CEO and executive director Organic & Natural Health Association
- Jacqueline Jacques, ND, FTOS, senior vice president medical affairs, Thorne
- Christian G. Krueger, CEO, Complete Phytochemical Solutions, LLC
- Beth Lambert, CEO, Herbalist & Alchemist, Inc.
- Patti Tveit Milligan Ph.D., RD, CNS, high performance nutrition specialist
- Mansoor Mohammed, PhD, president and COO, The DNA Company
- Michael Murray, ND, natural medicine, health & nutrition expert chief science officer, Enzymedica
- George Paraskevakos, executive director, International Probiotics Association
- Larisa Pavlick, vice president global regulatory and compliance, United Natural Products Alliance
- Guru Ramanathan, PhD, chief innovation officer and senior vice president, General Nutrition Corp (GNC)
- David Riley, MD, founder, Integrative Medicine Institute
- Steven Shapiro, JD, of counsel Rivkin Radler LLP
- Kantha Shelke, principal, Corvus Blue
- Elan Sudberg, CEO, Alkemist Labs
- Marc Ullman, JD, of counsel Rivkin Radler, LLP