Since 1977, the frequency of snacking has doubled, and currently, snacks have overtaken meals in terms of caloric intake, according to Peter Leighton, founding partner & CEO, Abunda. Consumer are on the go, so they need food to be convenient, but they also respond to healthy messages in product marketing.
In this episode, Leighton and Sandy Almendarez, editor in chief, INSIDER discuss:
- The evolution of the definition of “snack”
- Consumers’ desires to snack while also eating healthy foods
- The three key things consumers are looking for in the snack packaging
Leighton will be speaking on marketing snacks to consumers at the SupplySide West Panel Discussion: Bite-Sized Satisfaction: Snacking to Better Health on Friday, Oct. 7, at 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. in Las Vegas. Visit supplysideshow.com for more information and get registered. This session is underwritten by BASF, the official education sponsor of SupplySide West.
Links and Resources:
- Infographic: Snacks for Every Age
- Article: Developing Snacks for the Generations
- Blog: Healthfulness, Convenience Driving Growth in Breakfast Sector
- Article Archive: Formulating Functional Snacks