FLORHAM PARK, N.J.—BASF Nutrition & Health will unveil its new Consumer Health Approach at booth 25101 during SupplySide West 2014, October 6 to 10, Las Vegas. BASF is SupplySide West’s exclusive education program sponsor.
The Consumer Health Approach showcases lifecycle products and solutions offered by the industry's only supplier known for both its pharmaceutical and nutrition expertise. This combined know-how supports a range of consumer-friendly innovations in dietary supplements and over-the-counter (OTC) products.
"New concepts and solutions which target individual consumer preferences are needed to make it more convenient and easier for them to take their supplements," said Ludger Eilers, director, human nutrition, BASF North America. "Imagine, for example, how seniors would feel if they could take fewer capsules or find them easier to swallow."
Eilers explained that BASF's new Consumer Health Approach helps nutrition and health companies develop user-friendly products with clinically based concepts, innovative delivery systems and advanced pharmaceutical technology to address the health concerns of every age group. "Our Consumer Health capability suite helps our customers tailor formulations for infants to seniors—it’s as simple as that," he said.
Research shows many consumers find it difficult to routinely take their supplements, in some cases because they forget, but more often because it's not easy to take them for various reasons. Among U.S. adults, 68 percent report taking dietary supplements, yet more than one-third of those consumers do not always comply with their supplement regimen.
Attendees are invited to learn how BASF helps customers "Live NewtritionTM" through an interactive in-booth presentation explaining the trends, strategies, products, concepts, applications and other tools in its Consumer Health Capability Suite. To demonstrate how these concepts can be adapted into successful products, the following prototypes targeting all stages of life will be on display for sampling:
- Omega "Cardio-Pack" – These melt-in-your-mouth flavored stick packs are an innovative delivery alternative for adults concerned about maintaining their heart health.
- Omega- 3 "Vitality Swirl" – This tasty and convenient spoonable emulsion is ideal for the 30 percent of the population finding it difficult to swallow pills, especially seniors.
- "More Power to You" Tablets – These orally disintegrating tablets (ODT) with caffeine showcase how BASF's excipients and coatings create a creamy texture and quick dissolve with powerful taste-masking.
- "Get Moving" Chews – These chewy tablets with Tonalin (R) CLA, protein, calcium and vitamins D and K target growing consumer demand for bone and muscle health delivered in a tasty and portable form.
- PronovaPureTM "Mighty Gels" – Highly concentrated omega-3 oil enables smaller dosage size requiring fewer pills and/or smaller pills.
- Tonalin(R) CLA Chocolate "Recovery Milk" – Perfectly suited as a pre- or post-workout beverage, Tonalin is clinically proven to maintain lean body mass. Tonalin appeals to younger athletes or baby boomer sports enthusiasts looking for convenient and tasty nutrition on-the-go.
- "Young at Heart" Gummies – Two gummies deliver 400 mg of free sterols and enhance heart health in a fun and convenient delivery form for young adults to seniors.
- "FOGO (Fear of Getting Older)"Tropical Drink – This juice packed with nutrients including lycopene, omega-3s, beta-carotene and vitamins A, C, D and E appeals to seniors interested in maintaining their quality of life, appearance and mobility.
BASF's David Cai, Ph.D., business development manager, will present the new Consumer Health Capability Suite at a VendorBrief presentation on Oct. 9 at 10:00 to 10:50 a.m. in room Palm A. Attendees will learn how to make their dietary supplements and OTC products more consumer-friendly using new applications, unique technologies for taste-masking and controlled release, improved solubilization and appealing delivery forms.
Daniel Fabricant, Ph.D., former director of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) Division of Dietary Supplements, will deliver the featured speaker presentation on Oct. 8 at 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. in South Seas Ballroom F. He will share perspectives on FDA's priorities regarding dietary supplements, and what to expect next from the agency. Then, a panel of industry attorneys will call out examples of non-compliance in "Busted!", offering a tutorial in what not to do. Later in the day, attendees are also invited to join Fabricant at BASF's in-booth (25101) meet and greet from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. BASF's booth event will begin at 3:30 p.m. with product demonstrations and sampling.
BASF's Joseph Moritz, Ph.D., scientific marketing manager, will share tips on how dietary supplement manufacturers can obtain maximum freshness and purity in their finished products during the SupplySide Omega-3 Insights Summit on Oct. 7 at 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. in South Seas Ballroom H.