WASHINGTON—The Natural Products Association (NPA) honored 10 winners in its 19th Annual NPA Awards, which highlights individuals and businesses that have made important contributions to the success of the natural products industry. Awardees will be honored during Natural Products Association MarketPlace 2012, NPA’s annual trade show and convention, June 14 to 16 in Las Vegas.
The award winners this year are:
President’s Award—Michael T. Murray, ND, Paradise Valley, AZ
- The President’s Award recognizes an individual who has made long-time contributions to the natural products industry, or has made a one-time, uniquely significant impact on the industry. Murray, director of product development and education for Natural Factors, a manufacturer of nutritional and herbal supplements, and president and CEO of Dr. Murray Natural Living Inc. Murray is a graduate, faculty member, and member of the Board of Regents of Bastyr University. He is co-author of “A Textbook of Natural Medicine," a textbook on naturopathic medicine for physicians, as well as the consumer version, the “Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine." He also has written more than 20 other books, including “Dr. Murray’s Total Body Tune-Up," “The Pill Book Guide to Natural Medicines," “The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods" and “What the Drug Companies Won’t Tell You and Your Doctor Doesn’t Know."
Burton Kallman Scientific Award—James E. Simon, Ph.D., New Brunswick, NJ
- The Burton Kallman Scientific Award recognizes individuals who have made outstanding scientific contributions that have benefited the natural products industry.. Simon is the director of new use agriculture and natural plant products at Rutgers University. Simon's area of expertise is in the development of new uses of traditional crops, new crop development, aromatic and medicinal plant domestication, with a specialization in natural products such as those containing extractable chemicals in interest for flavor, aroma and medicinal activity. Simon published more than 100 scientific papers, books, and reviews in the areas of new crops, aromatic and medicinal plants, and nutraceuticals. In 1995, Simon was an Invited Member to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Steering Committee on Botanicals and their Role in American Health Care, NIH Office of Alternative Medicine.
Rachel Carson Environmental Award—Will Allen, Milwaukee, WI
- The Rachel Carson Environmental Award honors individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the protection of the environment. Allen is the founder and CEO of Growing Power, Inc., a national nonprofit organization that supports the development of community-based food systems and a model for communities around the world. Allen, a former professional basketball player, a farmer and a community activist, is dedicated to supporting low-income and small family farmers who bring healthy, affordable food to urban areas. He currently directs and supports several training, technical support, and demonstrative production programs at the Growing Power Community Food Center in Milwaukee and community food projects in Chicago and beyond. Allen received the Ford Foundation’s “Leadership for a Changing World Award" and was awarded the 2008 MacArthur Genius Fellowship for his efforts to promote sustainable farming methods in low-income neighborhoods. In May 2010, Time magazine named Allen one of the Time 100 World’s Most Influential People.
Industry Champion Awards recognize individuals who have made notable contributions to the natural products industry above and beyond commercial success.
- Keith Kantor, Ph.D., Norcross, GA. Kantor is CEO of Service Foods Inc., a shop-at-home food service offering gourmet, natural food, specializing in all-natural, meats, poultry, seafood and organic vegetables. He is currently working with the NPA natural certification program to develop a natural standard for foods, concentrating his efforts on the meat and poultry subcommittee.
- Patrick Rea, publisher and editorial director of Nutrition Business Journal (NBJ), Boulder, CO. NBJ is a market research, publishing and consulting firm that studies the nutrition, natural products and alternative health care industries.
- Drake Sadler, Sebastopol, CA. Sadler is co-founder and board chair for Traditional Medicinals.
- Curt Valva, Tampa, FL. Valva is general manager of Aubrey Organics. He recently served on the board of directors of the Natural Products Foundation and was one of the co-developers of NPA’s Natural Standard for Personal Care Products.
Clinician Awards are presented to licensed health care practitioners whose work exemplifies the best standards and dedication to responsible holistic, non-invasive and integrative, complementary and alternative medicine modalities.
- Dr. Leanna J. Standish, Kenmore, WA. Standish is medical director of the Bastyr Integrative Oncology Research Clinic in Kenmore,WA, and a research professor for the School of Naturopathic Medicine at Bastyr, a clinical professor for the School of Public Health at the University of Washington, and an affiliate research professor in the University of Washington's School of Medicine's radiology department.
- Joseph E. Pizzorno, Jr, ND, Seattle. Pizzorno is the founding president emeritus, Bastyr University, president, SaluGenecists, Inc., and editor, Integrative Medicine: A Clinician’s Journal. Pizzorno was appointed by President Clinton in December 2000 to the White House Commission on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Policy and by President Bush to the Medicare Coverage Advisory Committee in November 2002.
The Socially Responsible Retailer Award recognizes NPA member companies that excel in integrating social responsibility in multiple aspects of their businesses including volunteerism, education, employee empowerment, environment and health. This year’s honors go to Jimbo’s…Naturally! in San Diego, a natural foods grocery store that places a strong emphasis on local and organic produce, and contributes to numerous nonprofit organizations in the community.
In addition to the annual awards, NPA will honor the late John “Red" Carlson, co-founder and president of J.R. Carlson Laboratories Inc., and a longtime champion of natural products and supporter of NPA, with a lifetime achievement award. Carlson was director emeritus for Carlson Laboratories, serving in an advisory role after 45 years of leading the company. He passed away on Oct. 1, 2011.
Click here for a list of last year's winners.